Have You Been Diagnosed as a Diabetic

Have You Been Diagnosed As A Diabetic?

Did you know that if you have been diagnosed with diabetes that you may be eligible to receive though Medicare one pair of diabetic shoes and up to three pair of diabetic shoe inserts each calendar year?

Stop Foot Problems Before They Start!

Most foot problems are preventable through proper care and regular visits to your podiatric surgeon. This physician can provide information on foot inspection and care, proper footwear, and early recognition and treatment of foot conditions. Warren Levy, D.P.M, Ltd will provide you with the best quality protective footwear on the market.    All of our footwear is designed to best fit your feet preventing you from blisters, ulcers and possible amputation. Foot problems in persons with diabetes are usually the result of three primary factors: neuropathy (nerve damage), poor circulation and decreased resistance to infection. Due to poor circulation, when blisters are formed from improper fitting shoes, a diabetic takes much longer to heal than the average person, causing possible severe ulcers and infections. An ulcer is usually a sore at the bottom of the foot or top of the toes, resulting from excessive pressure at that site. Trauma from shoe pressure associated with foot deformities is also a potential cause of an ulcer. Neuropathy allows the lesions to develop because the normal warning sense of pain has been lost and it goes unrecognized. Continued pressure or walking on the injured skin creates even further damage and the ulcer will worsen.

Medicare's Therapeutic Shoe Bill Introduction

According to the American Diabetes Association, there are approximately 16 million Americans with diabetes. Unfortunately, this number continues to grow. Twenty-five percent of persons with diabetes develop foot problems related to the disease. Recognizing this problem, Congress approved the Medicare Therapeutic Shoe Bill; helping thousands of persons with diabetes obtain protective footwear and inserts.

Warren Levy, D.P.M. has designed specific programs to meet this bill, to help ensure that the patient receives excellent foot protection without much if any out of pocket cost. Medicare will reimburse for 80 percent of the amount allowed, and the patient is responsible for the other 20 percent. However, many supplemental insurance companies will cover this 20 percent, leaving the patient to pay little or nothing.

Medicare Beneficiary Eligibility

Medicare covers diabetic shoes, inserts and modifications for program beneficiaries only if the following criteria are met:

(a) The patient has diabetes and one or more of the following conditions:

• Previous amputation of the other foot, or part of either foot, or

• History of previous foot ulceration of either foot, or

• History of pre-ulcerative calluses of either foot, or

• Peripheral neuropathy with evidence of callus formation of either foot, or

• Foot deformity of either foot, or

• Poor circulation in either foot; and

(b) The certifying physician who is managing the patient‘s systemic diabetes condition has certified that (1) one or more of the indications required by (a) above are present,     (2) he or she is treating the patient under a comprehensive plan of care for his or her diabetes, and (3) the patient needs diabetic shoes, inserts or modifications.

Our Location

Office Hours
Monday:9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Tuesday:9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Wednesday:9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday:9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Friday:9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday:Closed
Sunday:Closed